It’s been an exciting day! Before 10:30am, we had already supported World Autism Awareness Day in so many ways.
- My son is wearing one of his Autism t-shirts.
- My daughter is wearing a ribbon I made for her.
- I’m wearing all Autism “bling”‘ I own, and of course my own Autism t-shirt.
- My son’s seatmate on his bus wished me a “happy blue day!”.
- My son’s bus driver was wearing her Autism t-shirt (which is the same as mine). She found out about WAAD yesterday and was happy that there is one, saying “it’s such an important cause”. How much do I ❤ her?!!
- the grand-daughter and daughter of one of my neighbours knocked on our door to show that they were wearing blue in support of World Autism Awareness Day. Sssssoooo cute!
I also attended the flag-raising at City Hall this morning. Small group as it’s a new thing this year.
As it turns out, my friend who works at keeping everything running inside and outside the building, actually changed all the bulbs to blue yesterday. So, City Hall will be lit up blue and the Autism flag will be flying for the whole month of April! I know that there’s a lot of talk in the Autism blogosphere this year, recognizing that blue is actually the corporate colour for Autism Speaks, whereas the coloured puzzle piece is actually for Autism. I recognize that as well…but if the general public recognizes “light it up blue” as being Autism, then I think that’s a great start. But I digress… 😉
I also asked my lovely “Likers” on my Facebook Page and friends on my personal Facebook if they would be interested in sharing photos of their children with Autism. Here’s the resulting 2014 World Autism Awareness Day photo montage:
How have you been recognizing/celebrating World Autism Awareness Day?