1. The most selfless thing I’ve ever done, besides giving birth to my twins, was breastfeed them for their first year. For the record though, they never latched properly so I pumped for the year. I was determined to do it and, after celebrating their first birthday, I sighed relief that I would now “gain back” the 40mins every 3 hours of time that I previously spent pumping. Now, I look back on that first year and wonder how on earth I did it…especially when (warning…TMI moment…) my period started when the kids were 10 months old. How was I alive??!!! Breastfeeding AND my period??!!! Crazy! BUT, I aimed for a year and I achieved that goal. So, perhaps that whole first year was completely selfless – breastfeeding, working, overnight feedings, etc.
2. When it comes to working out, I want to. I LOVE exercising…yoga, dancing, weights, kickboxing, etc. Alas, it’s not as high on the priority list as sleep is! Thankfully, my 6yo daughter loves yoga and has asked lately if she and I can do yoga after my son goes to bed. Great way to spend some mommy-daughter time.
3. A woman should always have her own bank account, in case she needs to leave her situation quickly. She also needs to wear clothing that fits her body, rather than the body she wishes she had. Size is not important; class is.
4. I wish I could create something artistic and then I’d have an outlet for my creativity. Alas, I have the ideas but not the abilities, and no time or resources to attend classes to learn. Sigh…
5. A best friend is an absolute necessity…but can also be replaced. I’ve been through a best friend-breakup and, although difficult, it showed me that she wasn’t the best friend I thought she was. She was “replaced” by someone who has stood by and up for me in so many situations. Don’t know what I would have done without her the last 2 years. KG – you’re the best!
6. I can’t get enough hugs, kisses and cuddles – from my kids and my man. I also can’t get enough of my son verbalizing requests…it’s music to my ears.
7. This weekend I am attending a Winter Clothing Swap in town, where a bunch of families are getting together to swap seasonally-appropriate items that our kids have outgrown…weather-permitting. Who ordered the “monsoon” that has been coming down for days?!