Optimom is famous for giving out “homework” to help people discover their passion in life. My homework was to ask 5 others how they define happiness. Have to admit that I haven’t asked people, other than posting it on Twitter, but have definitely been through lots of reflection in determining how I define happiness.
The first things that popped into my head were all related to my kids; when:
- they were born
- they smile
- we have cuddle time
- they are playing together and not trying to kill eachother
- my kids wink at me
- DD makes her cute sleeping sounds
- DS hugs me so hard that I think my head is going to pop off
- I wake up to find DD has crawled into bed with me overnight
- DS hugs me and says “home”
All of these are great HOWEVER, I realized that my happiness was being determined by someone else. More reflection required.
So, I started thinking back to when I have felt happiest and when people tell me my smile is the biggest. Here’s my “happy list” and why:
- Dancing – whether it’s lessons or out with friends. I’m trained in classical ballet and just love any kind of dance!
- Skating – I took lessons for years and years. There’s something very “freeing” when I’m on the ice
- Water – I lived in Vancouver, BC for a number of years and, now my favourite place in Hamilton is down at the waterfront.
- Public Speaking – yup, one of the top fears for almost everyone else in the world is actually one of my “happy places”
- Go Karting – my (then) hubby took me go-karting once and I absolutely loved it!
- Reading – the journey is endless
- Writing – there’s something freeing about just starting to write, whether it’s my blog or journaling
- Helping Others – I’m a true Libra…helping others is what drives me!
I’m sure other things will pop into my head as I further reflect on this question…but that’s why @optimom is so awesome. Very simple homework assignments that inspire true reflection.
So, I turn the homework over to you now…what makes you happiest?
PS – I was not paid for this post…I happen to be blessed to know Optimom IRL (in real life)